Domain Authority (DA) is a number (metric) that indicates the authority of your website. The higher your domain authority is, the greater are your chances of ranking higher in search engine result pages (SERPS) and getting more organic traffic.
The Domain Authority metric was developed by Moz, but other companies have created similar metrics that rank domains based on a number of factors and give them a rating from 0 to 100.
The idea of ranking domains based on their authority emerged from Page Rank that was introduced by Larry Page (one of Google’s Founders) and it is used until today as a way to measure the importance of WebPages and websites.
Increase dwell time of your website
Increasing your website’s dwell time and reducing your site’s bounce rates can immensely help you increase your website’s domain authority really quickly.
What is dwell time?
Dwell time is an important On Page SEO metric that calculates your website’s:
- User engagement
- Session duration (aka bounce rate) and
- Click through rates (of your search results)
The more people who spend time on your site reading a page (article, info graphic or video) the better rankings it will get.
Dwell time simply means how long your blog visitors are staying on your site without hitting back button. Google is giving more importance to the sites with better dwell time so your domain authority is also increases if you focus on improving your dwell time.
Here are few powerful tips that you can use to increase the dwell time of your websites:
- Start creating 2000+ word blog posts
- Show related posts under every blog post
- Do interlinking regularly and do it wisely
- Open external links in new tabs
Be smart about external linking
Your external links and backlink profile plays a VITAL role in improving your domain authority. Have a look at the image below to understand how important backlinks are when it comes to boosting your domain authority.
Here’s another important thing to consider. If you’re giving away too many links to others from your site without actually acquiring new backlinks, it’s very hard to increase domain authority of your sites. So be smart while linking out to other sites, references or web pages.
As a rule of thumb, you can use rel=”nofollow” tag whenever you’re linking out to
- Affiliate products
- Social media platforms
- Reviews etc
Use the 3 link building tactics
1. Guest blogging: Guest blogging always works like charm in link building. But most of the bloggers fail to do proper guest blogging because it takes time, dedication, effort and some strategies.
2. Infographics: People love infographics. These are the most shared and liked content on the web. Infographics can turn the boring data to an interesting post. Visual posts earn more backlinks than the textual content.
3. Build backlinks: Backlinks are extremely important for SEO. Most of the bloggers don’t give backlinks just like that.
Remove toxic backlinks
When Google launched the penguin 2.0 update in 2013, all of a sudden most of the sites experienced a drop in page-rank. This is because of the toxic backlinks. Previously it had little effect but now it harms your site.
What are toxic backlinks?
These are the backlinks that harm your website’s SEO. For example, paid links, links that are received from link schemes, links from gaming or payday loan sites are considered as toxic.
Why to remove toxic backlinks?
If Google notices that your blog has fair number of toxic backlinks, then it reduces your site’s DA and it is likely that it excludes your site from its database.
If you notice a sudden drop in traffic and if you receive a warning notification from Google then it means your blog has toxic backlinks.
If you are getting links from sites that are not indexed by Google, sites that have less domain authority, sites with very less traffic, sites with an unusual number of external links then you must remove those backlinks.
Here is how you can remove toxic backlinks:
- Contact the site owners and request them to remove your links.
- Use Google’s disavow tool to remove toxic backlinks.
- If your website is new and has very less traffic but more toxic backlinks then it’s better to delete the website.
Once you remove toxic backlinks, file a reconsideration request with Google. Make a humble request and outline what steps you took to correct the problem. If you want to get ranked well, then you should take re`moving toxic backlinks as a serious issue.
You can also use Google’s disavow links for removing toxic links from your sites.
Here is how you can identify bad backlinks:
Go to Google Search Console, click on “search traffic” and select “links to your site”. From this module “who links the most”, click on “more” to see all the backlinks.
To export all your backlinks, click on “Download latest links”. Now, import all these backlinks to your SEO tool and remove those links. You can use Monitor backlinks tool.
Once you identify bad backlinks, put a request removal of those links.
Create an email with a request to remove a link.
Once you send the mail, there are three possible scenarios that can happen.
- Either your link will be removed or
- Your email will be ignored or
- Site owner may request for money to remove your link. In this scenario, just disavow the domain.
In the Monitor backlinks tool, Go to “filters”, click on “Tags” and select “disavow”. From this, you can easily create disavow report. Once you are ready with the disavow report. Upload your file to Google disavow and it takes 2 to 4 weeks to process your request. Once done, you will see change in your rankings.
Maintain a user friendly website
If your website is difficult to navigate, then it frustrates user to the great extent. And most likely they won’t return. So, creating a user friendly website is very important if you are serious about business.
- Guide visitors to specific path in your site. Make sure that visitors know where they are and where they need to go, you can use “Call-To-Action” for this purpose.
- Don’t use jargon words in your content. Make it simple and easy to understand.
- Add search functionality to your site. It makes easy for your visitors to find the information they want.
- Highlight keywords and bold or underline specific texts to make it easy for visitors to understand better.
- Place your navigation either to the left or the top of your website. So, that they will be able to see the options to navigate through your site.
Once you have made these changes, make sure that you test your website.
Create a white hat SEO strategy
Implementing white hat SEO strategy is nothing but getting natural backlinks to your blog. If a high number of pages linked to your blog which are relevant to your niche then Google loves to rank your site higher.
How to get natural backlinks?
- Content is the king. Write remarkably great content that is not easy to find on other websites. You can write controversial topics, case studies, fact and figures.
- Hang out on forums, events related to your niche and build connection with the fellow bloggers.
- Almost every social media sites allow you to put links in the Bio section. It has great value as far as SERPs are concerned.
- Building relationships with other bloggers in your niche helps in getting natural backlinks. Comment on their posts to get their attention.
- If you have good programming skills or know about html then create tools that helps users. It will fetch you tremendous backlinks.
- Check for broken links and replace your link provided you have similar type of content.
- Write genuine guest posts to authoritative sites in your niche and include a link to your site.
- Republish the viral posts and link to original source. There is a possibility that most of the blogs link back to your blog while citing them.
Always remember that, quality backlinks help to get quality traffic and to get better rankings really quickly to any website no matter how old or new it is.
What to Do When Your Website’s DA Drops?
One of the common questions most people ask is “what should I do if my site’s DA domain authority drops”?
There are so many instances of sites going from a DA 50 to 10 or even below within a few months and there are also instances where the sites with low DA (below) getting #1 rankings on Google.
So what can you notice from it?
DA has nothing to do with your search rankings. It simply means, instead of worrying about why your site DA has dropped, focus more on how to properly optimize your content for your target keywords and attract relevant links. That way you can increase your search rankings.
“What’s a good DA and PA?”
There’s no thumb rule on how much DA or PA a site should have but if you preferably have a DA of more than 65, you tend to rank well for most of the keywords you’re aiming to rank for.
That being said, Page Authority (PA) measures the ranking strength of a single page of a website whereas Domain Authority (DA) measures the total strength of entire pages, domain and subdomain of the website. The average DA is 30. To rank well your page and domain authority should be more than 30.
So what’s the bottom line?
Can you outrank your competitors if they have a better DA or PA?
Yes, you absolutely can. It doesn’t matter what your competitors DA is. By focusing on “long tail keywords” with less search volume, you can easily beat your competitors even if you’ve a brand new site with less DA.
To be able to outrank your competitors, you must need a solid content marketing strategy where you can also use tools like SEMrush to spy on their keywords and backlink sources.
Send your articles with title, subtitle, keywords tags, description, article category, images, alt tags, image title, image caption, image description in word file to email id – email@example.com