If you run an online store, image optimization is an art that you want to master. From attracting shoppers perusing Google images to reducing site load time, image optimization is an important part of building a successful E-Commerce website, since your product photography is a cornerstone of your online store.
Steps to optimize images for the SEO
Image optimization is about reducing the file size of your images as much as possible without sacrificing quality so that your page load times remain low. It’s also about image SEO. That is, getting your product images and decorative images to rank on Google and other image search engines.
- Name your images descriptively and in plain language.
- Optimize your alt attributes carefully.
- Choose your image dimensions and product angles wisely.
- Reduce the file size of your images.
- Choose the right file type.
- Optimize your thumbnails.
- Use image sitemaps.
- Beware of decorative images.
- Use caution when using content delivery networks (CDNs).
Test your images.